Friday, August 04, 2006

Still in Transition - (Triathlon Off Season)

Todays workout: 5:00am - (1000 Yard Swim)

Warm up: 200 yards easy
Drills: 2 x 25 under skate , 1 x 50 String finger/fist
Main Set: 1x500 steady
Cool down: 8 x 25 Bi-lateral Breathing

A typical triathlon season usually runs from March through October and sometimes into November. By November, athletes have been training and racing for over 8 months and are ready for a well deserved break. During the following 4 month off season (Transition Period), athletes do various things. Some hang up all their gear and enjoy the winter holiday foods and take shelter from the cooler winter training conditions before starting back up sometime after January 1st. Others are the classical diehards that push on strong and don’t take any time off for mental and physical recovery. Since races don’t typically start until March, athlete will usually start focusing on limiters and weight training (Preparation Period) roughly 8 weeks before starting their base level training for a specific race or series of races.

I have decided to have a 8 week preparation period prior to starting my base training on January 1st. This will leave me approximately 6 month to dedicate to my base, build and peak periods.

In order to get some kind of mental and physical break, I have decided to be very low key with my training and racing between now and October 1st. This two month period is the only time I have to rejuvenate my body and mentally gear up for Ironman CDA (Coeur d’Alene) next June.

During this two month period, I have the two following "Fun" races scheduled:
1) Hansen Dam Triathlon - Sprint Relay.
2) Pumpkinman Olympic Triathlon in Las Vegas - Club Championship.

The Hansen Dam race is going to be GREAT FUN. The relay team is made up of me, Shannon and my neighbor Richard. I am doing the 500 yrd open water swim, Richard will be racing the 11 mile bike coarse and Shannon with finish up the race with a 3 mile trail run. I can’t wait to see the excitement on their faces as the race unfolds. I’m going to do my best to get some pictures of the event.... stay tuned.

My last race this season is the "Pumpkinman" - Club Championship in Las Vegas. I normally wouldn’t be doing such a late season race with my Ironman race so early in the following season but my Dad is competing in it. This will be our second race together and first Olympic race together. My Dad is soon to be 60 and placed 2nd in his age group in his first Olympic distance triathlon. Truth be told... there were only two people in his age group and he was one of them. With that said, I am very proud of his accomplishments in triathlon. Less than a year ago, he couldn’t swim 25 yards and after countless lessons and hours in the water he is now able to navigate near mile open water swims with relative ease. Way to go pop! So without a doubt, I wouldn’t miss this race for the world.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey Jason, I just read you entire blog and am already jazzed after my first meeting with the Team-in-Training group. I decided to train for fy first triathalon and have as much as five months to get ready for it. I'll need it because my gut is hanging down by my knees at this moment. I'd like to get together with you in a couple of months since I think puking and taking a shit in you company for the second time will throw me over the edge. I'll talk to you soon. Hi to Shannon. She looks real good in the photos, as do you of course.