Tuesday, August 01, 2006

In Transition

After completing the "World Toughest Half" Triathlon on 5/20/2006, I elected to take a couple of weeks off from training (5/21-6/4) to recuperate from "burnout" and spend some much needed time with my family. The last two months of training leading up to this race were very hard on the family and especially Shannon. I was gone on 4-5 hr bike rides on Saturdays, 1 mile ocean swims and transition runs on Sundays. During the work week, I was in bed by 9pm, up three days at 4am to either swim or run and up one day at 3 am to get in a two hour bike ride. To say the least, we were all ready for a break.

After this short break, I spent two weeks doing light base-transition training (6/5-6/18) and one week tapering for my next race called "Breath of Life" on 6/25. I approached this Olympic distance race (1.5K swim, 40K bike, 10K run) in a relaxed nature and decided to just have fun and not worry about my split times. The race went well and afterwards, the whole family spent a couple of fun hours at the beach.

After the race I spent the next week doing lite active recovery/transition training (6/26-7/2).

The following week I was on Vacation. My parents came down from Sacramento and we spent some time at Disneyland. (7/3-7/10). During this time I did absolutely no training. I forgot how nice is was to sleep more that 6 hours a night.

After my parents when home and the vacation was over, I caught a goofy cold (Disney Joke). I felt run down and had a sore throat for a few days. Blah...blah... blah... you know typical story. After I felt better, I went for a run... then the cold came back for a few more days. Again, I felt better..... went for a run ... then it came back a third time. Dang......What a pain in the butt... I was not use to being sick and missing exercise.

By the week of 7/24, I finally kicked the cold and was ready for full duty. My workouts went as listed below:
7/25 - 5 Mi Easy Run
7/27 - 1000 Yard Drill Swim
7/29 - 35 Mi Easy Bike Ride
7/31 - 5 Mi Easy Run

No comments: