Sunday, July 08, 2007

Marathon- 26.2 Miles of Hope

The Marathon - 26.2 Mile Run:
The Marathon consisted of two 13.1 mile out and back loops. Throughout the year I have been training on a 6 mile looped course. So mentally I broke the run into 5 parts. Four 6 mile loops followed by a 2.2 mile celebration run. It is easier for me to think of completing loops than a linear stretch of road. For me, a loop means I have brought closure to a distance and can then forget about it.



The fist few miles were tough until I got my legs and heart rate under control. Fortunately, everything got under control and I found my groove. My plan was to take salt tablets every hour, run each mile and to walk the aide stations as I ate and drank. The plan worked beautifully. I was running a comfortable 10 min 15 sec mile pace and walking about 1 min 15 sec through each aide station. My legs felt great until mile 15. About that time I was starting to develop a hint of a cramp on the upper inside part of my left leg. I would stop and do a side stretch for a few seconds and it would be good for a couple more miles.


Boy I’ve got to say the aide stations were GREAT! They had water, Gatorade, cola, chicken broth, gels, bananas, oranges and plenty of happy faces. I used my own gu and took in aid station water and Gatorade until mile 15. After mile 15 I started in on the cola and chicken broth. At some aide stations I had water, Gatorade and chicken broth in one shot. I wasn’t sure if it would all stay down but it did. Others weren’t as lucky. I saw people throwing up and others laying in the grass along the side of the course. I would run by and say … “You ok buddy” and I’d get a no look thumbs up. I thought that was a classic sight. If a guy is feeling like shit, barfing out a lung and he gives you the “good to go thumbs up”. That’s Awesome!!!


Because the route was out and back for two loops I had many chances to see team mates (you know who you are) and family members many times during my 5hr 5 minute run. I continued with the run walk until the mile 24 aide station. Once there, I took a swig of water and washed off my face and arms with sponge and straightened out my race kit in preparation for my finish photo because there was no stopping me now. The last 2.2 miles were heavenly. I’m sure I was having an adrenaline rush because I was running strong and without pain. I could hardly count the number of people I was passing in these last couple of miles. As I made it up the last hill and made the last turn towards the finish line I could see the Ironman arch and finish line chute 400 yards away. The last 400 yards to the finish line is all downhill. As I approached the chute, I was able to give my Dad a high five and waive to my wife and girls. Once in the chute all I could see was arms and faces moving and clapping. The applause and cheering was deafening until I was a few feet from the finish line. Once I was within a few feet of the tape my mind went still and a peaceful feeling set over my body. I slowed to a walk and crossed the finish line with my arms over my head.


Once I hit the tape my body filled with pride, joy and excitement. I then heard those 6 sweet words “Jason Healey you are an Ironman!.” I thought to myself, “I am an Ironman!”…. I could live with that.

I set the goal to do this race and to do this race my way. I decide to pass on having a coach (for good or bad) and decided to live or die with my training decisions. Other than my swim time I was completely happy with my overall race. In hind site, I could have gone faster in places but who know what kind of problems that could have caused later. In the future, I might do some things differently but for this race I wouldn’t have changed a thing. I enjoyed every second of the Journey. My nutrition was right on, my pacing was right on and I’m proud that I had the patience to hold back until the very end of the race. Having my family there to share in the experience was great and seeing them on my last 2 magical miles was priceless.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Jaaaaaaaaaaason!!! I have been thinking about you and Shannon lately and found your blog while trying to find an email address for you. Email me if you have time.

-Melissa

missamiller@comcast.net