Thursday, November 29, 2007

A Change of Name and Motivation

Back in July 2006 I started this blog and Titled it "Vision Quest - 2007 Ironman Coeur d'Alene". The title was is a loose reference to the 1985 Movie entitled "Vision Quest". In the Movie, Louden Swain is a man obsessed, trying to shed 23 pounds in a dangerously short time to take on Shute, the undefeated, tough-as-nails Champion who's the best wrestler in the state. In the face of impossible odds, Louden sets his mind to his Vision and his Quest for Victory. He says, "This is the year that I make my mark ... and find my place in the circle... we are born to live and then to die. We all have to do it alone, each in his own way. I guess that is why we have to love those people who deserve it like there is no tomorrow. Because when you get right down to it…there isn’t." 2007 was my year to make my mark. I invited everyone to join me on my 8 month Quest of self discovery through athletic training, mental perseverance and family support to achieve my vision of Completing an IRONMAN TRIATHLON!

I completed Ironman Coeur D'Alene in June and have been enjoying the off-season with my wife and two small girls ever since. In an effort to foster more family time we bought a 32 foot motorhome. To this point we have used it to camp and for day trips to the Ocean. During the next triathlon season I entend to us it at Wildflower and perhaps the World Toughest Half in Auburn.

My goal now is to get my training back on track during this off-season layover. I am currently having a hard time getting motivated. I am the kind of person that needs an epic goal as a carrot to get me through a long stretch of training. Ironman was the perfect carrot last season but this season I don't have an epic goal. So for now, I am just trying to piece together next seasons races, my motivation and how I can keep myself and my family happy.

1 comment:

Kieran Mischewski said...

Hi there, have just been looking through your blog, sounds like something I'd write! Good luck with finding some motivation, all you need is a big goal!